Friday, October 06, 2006

Using Microsoft as an initial standard

I do confess that I use Microsoft operating system and software. I will not actively buy new Microsoft software and I will not buy any new MS software if I can help it. Having said all that, it is clear that Microsoft's monopoly does not allow me to buy a laptop without paying the Microsoft tax.

I was using Word on my computer and I wanted to change the language as I learned not to write American but British English. Changing the language for a text I found a rich resource of languages that Microsoft supports. Of particular interest for me was how it splits English in many versions. This is something that I can easily emulate in WiktionaryZ. The question is; I can but should I. Would it be better to wait until someone wants to include something that is for instance Jamaican English or is it better to be proactive ?

Thanks,
GerardM

No comments: