Thursday, August 12, 2010

#Google blocks use of #Wikimedia #Commons pictures

I want to write about a domain provider. In order to illustrate this I selected this picture from Wikimedia Commons. I get the message:
Only select images for which you have confirmed that you have a licence for use.
I make a screen print in order to illustrate my blog post. I try to upload it and I get the message:
Only select images for which you have confirmed that you have a licence for use.
The page on Commons about the picture is quite clear:
This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.
I am equally sure that I am allowed to feature a screen shot using either the Chrome or the Firefox browser, if only because it is fair use.

Google, what are you thinking, are you intent on killing your blogger service ?
Thanks,
     GerardM

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Google makes me cry last days.

Belarusian (Taraškievica) Wikipedia (be-x-old.wikipedia.org) is almost banned in Google. The Google PR has decreased from 7 (or six, don't remember) to 3. And now the search results for our wiki either can't be found or are displayed as en.wikipedia.org/wiki/be-x-old: or ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/be-x-old:

:(

Michael Everson said...

That Wiki should be transferred to an RFC 5646 language tag encoding.

Anonymous said...

Michael. Unfortunately making Wikimedia projects available under a different sub domain isn't trivial - or going to happen. One of the worst examples is als.wikipedia.org which isn't the proper ISO 639 code (als is Tosk Albanian with some 3M speakers and the "Wikimedia als" is ISO known (pun intended) as Swiss German/Alemannisch/gsw...

Amir said...

Move to http://www.wordpress.com . I did it after blogger kept frustrating me and never looked back. The import is automatic.